Active Learning Online: Post-lecture Quizzes (5:09)
Use quizzes to bust the fluency illusion and give timely feedback.
- Asynchronous feedback in the learning moment
- Promotes self-driven learning and reflection
- Ideal for the online student
- Reduced grading time
- Once it is set up, it is ‘hands off’ help
- Flexible use for in-person and online audiences
- Follow each online lecture with a short quiz (~3 questions).
- Make the quiz 'low stakes.' This can be done by making these quizzes worth few points, giving multiple attempts and/or giving an excess of points in this grade category so students are free to make mistakes as they try the content for the first time, then learn from those mistakes.
- Add additional feedback in the quiz to address student misconceptions.
Recommended Resources & Links
- Slide presentation for Post-Lecture Quizzes (PDF)